Thursday, January 14, 2010

Uber-Wagon



What comes to your mind when you hear or see the word "Station-Wagon"? You might think of a small, lightweight vehicle with 5 doors powered by a four cylinder or V6 engine. Audi, on the other hand, loves to overdo things when it comes to their cars. The 2010 Audi RS6 avant is one example.



"Unbelievable" maybe one word that comes to your mind after I tell you the true specs of this German 5-door monster. Powered by a whopping 5.2 liter twin-turbocharged V10 engine generating 580 horsepower, the RS6 reaches 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and has a limited top speed of 155 mph. Taking the limiter off would take the RS6 up to 180 mph. Audi's patent-pended Quattro all-wheel drive gives this car complete control of any surface, whether it be tarmac or snow.



With so much power under the hood, and a curb weight of about 4500 lb., don't expect this car to be full efficient. It gets an estimated 17 miles per gallon with 11 in the city and 20 on the highway. If you were to compare this data to that of a regular station wagon, you will definitely see a huge gap between it and the RS6. This car definitely does not play around with other cars in its class. The handling of this car is similar to that of a Bentley Continental GT: they're both pretty heavy and really hug the road within each turn.





Don't expect this German monster to be cheap either. The base price of this car starts at an estimated $160,000. So, if you're rich and crazy and have a family that is as crazy as you are, buy this car. Sadly, this car is only available in Europe and Asia and won't be coming to North America for economic reasons.

8 comments:

  1. Whoah...whatever soccer mom goes rollin' down the street in this baby will look FANCY!!!! That's sweet for a station wagon...my only problem is that you made me want to test-drive it so bad, and then you tell me I have to travel halfway across the world to get in the front seat? I guess I'll have to stick with my boring, old, regular, formerly grandma's car...(sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree...while that's pretty awesome for a station wagon...chances are that if you're driving a station wagon then you're not going for that super sexy auto image and just want to get from point A to point B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most people think of station wagons as a 'grandmas car,' but this is definitely something i would love to drive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idk I still think it looks like a grandma's car. Maybe for those elderly women who can't let go of the glory days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man this thing is fast! I did not know that this wagon was powered by a V10 engine with 580 horsepower! To me having all of those horses and no where to gallop would be very depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also found it interesting how it handles almost as well as the Bentley Continental GT. Two very different styled cars! What other cars does this Audi compete with (if other cars even could)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So today I was driving to school...totally focused on the road...and I saw one of these in Blue parked on the side of the road. This was quite possibly the first time I'd ever recognized the name, horsepower, and time it takes to go from 0-60 of a car.
    I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 160K for a station wagon!? I love Lacey's comment about grandmas that can't let the glory days go.
    I do like the color.

    ReplyDelete