Saturday, January 16, 2010

German Tank



Imagine this. You're in the German army in the mid-1970's. You're battalion is under attack by enemy forces and the only weapon you have is an LAPV (Light Armored Patrol Vehicle) Enok. You use that and start running over as much of the enemy as possible. Surprising, you end up winning, with all of you're comrades calling you a hero. 30+ years later, you're a retired veteran with a lot of money in your bank account. You go out to Mercedes-Benz and buy the new 2010 G-class and say to yourself, "Mmmmm. This car looks vaguely familiar." That's because it is.




The Mercedes-Benz G-class SUV was first introduced in 1970 as a multi-purpose military vehicle. In 1979, it went into civilian production. In 2005, it came back into production after it was stalled in 1991, introducing a more luxurious side to the rugged SUV. Today, the G-class is available in 2 models. First, there is the G550. With a 5.5 liter V8 generating 382 horsepower, the G550 reaches 0-60 miles per hour in an astonishing 6 seconds and has a top speed of 120 miles per hour. Then, there's the G55 AMG, the pinnacle of the G-Class sector. Under the hood you'll find a Supercharged 5.5 liter V8 generating 500 horsepower. With a 0-60 in just 5.4 seconds, the G55 reaches speeds of 155 miles per hour. Even though it's Mercedes-Benz's heaviest vehicle, the G-Class still outperforms its competition.



The G-class calms with all of its features standard, including 4-Matic all wheel drive, Anti-Lock Braking System, Rear View Camera, and Rear View Assist. The G-Class is very heavy on the ground weighing at 5,622 lb. Because of its weight, its fuel efficiency stands at a gas guzzling 12 mpg with 11 in the city and 15 on the highway. Nevertheless, G-Class a very fun vehicle to drive. Many consumers who have driven the G have proposed that it has the power to "take down trees". Metaphorically speaking, the weight and power of this SUV gives it the ability to do almost anything. If you don't believe me, check out the video below.



The 2010 Mercedes G-class is only available to those worthy of respecting. The base price of this SUV is $104,000, making it one of the most expensive SUVs on the planet. The G55 AMG starts at $122,000. Many of you who are reading this and looking at these pictures may say, "Ewww!! It looks like a Hummer!" Well it does. But I don't think Hummers can go as fast as our as strong as this "German Tank".

8 comments:

  1. This is probably not that best car for me to be reading about after watching Inglorious Basterds...but nevertheless...this car isn't pretty. I think it's a bit disturbing that there's people driving around in army tanks, but I guess to each his own right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea every G class SUV was hand made. Every time I see one of these I always wonder why they are always so shiny and clean, because the owners never take them off road. If I had such a powerful off road vehicle, I would be taking it off road everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your vivid description to really bring the reader in. It is a very cool truck and it's awesome how it went from a military vehicle to a commercial car. I also liked the video clip you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obi! I saw one on the street today and immediately thought of your article. I thank you taking the time to write this because I was able to appreciate the fine craftsman ship put into the German truck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw one of these on 287. I wasn't able to appreciate it in the way Zach was though. It made me angry...just looking at it makes me think of war and overly agressive people....but maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I'm totally with Lacey on this one. Such a car has no real place in suburbia or even urban settings - it just looks out of place, at best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! My very own road-friendly FLAKPANZER!!!!!

    If blogging is a baseball game, this article is a beautiful change-up by the left-hander, Obi Nkwonta. Confused? I thought so...my analogies suck.

    What I'm trying to say is that I think this article stands far above all of your other ones, Obi. Description, statistics...it's the complete package!

    Very, very, very, very, VERY well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I need for driving on 287!!! I love my MIni, but some days I just want to be in a tank and drive over the aggressive idiots out there...crunch.

    ReplyDelete