Sunday, October 31, 2010

Do Racing Games Make You a Better Driver?



At the age of 6, I received my first racing game. It was Test Drive 5. I never had a chance to beat the game, but that day helped me generate a passion for cars and racing games. I never stopped playing racing games. Even to this day, I still have some in my library. At 16, I started learning how to drive in my dad's 2003 Chevy Suburban. From the day I started learning, I've always considered driving fun and easy. My parents have complemented me on my driving by using phrases like, "Alright Boy!", and, "I have a driver in the house!" So, one day, I asked myself, "How did I become such a good driver? Is it because of luck, or did video games help?"



The truth is, certain racing games do help you hone your skills as a driver. Gran Turismo is one of the best examples. It combines your love of cars with the realism of driving. I've played this game since I was a kid and it's helped me hone my skills as driver. It's also taught me that it's not about the car. It's about the driver. For example, I've beaten Bugatti Veyron's at the Nürburgring in Chevy Corvette ZR1. Even though Veyron's are famous for reaching very high speeds, unless they are driven by experts, they are useless. The same idea applies with the Corvette ZR1. 638 Horsepower may seem like nothing compared to 1001 horsepower, but it's still a lot of power. Drive it carefully. Anyway, the point is that since this game is so real, you can use it as practice before you get your driver's license maybe; or, you can use it to become a better race driver. Either way, this game will help you improve your driving techniques.


Here's another one: Need For Speed. Yes, I am aware this is more of an arcade series, but the truth is, there is some realism in some of the games in this series. For example, Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed. It might be a racing game where the only manufacturer is Porsche, but in terms of realism, this is very good game. You can seriously hone your skills with this one. Another one from the series is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. This game allows you to tune your car internally. For example, you can adjust the ride height, the firmness of the suspension, nitrous usage, even boost power. As for handling, it's pretty realistic. When your turning, you can really feel the car hugging the corners. Even if your being chased by cops, you can feel the weight and power of the car as you slam through roadblocks. What makes this game even more interesting is the car sounds. Now, in most racing games, even in Gran Turismo, the car sounds are unreal. In this game, car sounds are similar to the ones heard in real life. A Lamborghini Gallardo in the game sounds almost exactly the same as it does in real life. That is truly awesome.


These are just two of the many video games that you can use to test your driving abilities. You can play these games in any formation: via keyboard, controller, or driving seat and wheel. I recommend that you use the third option. Because, well, think about it. I don't think any car now or in the future will be driven by a PS3 controller or an Apple Keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment